The village of Llwyngwril is situated to the west of the A493 coastal
road between Fairbourne, some three miles to the north and the village of Llangelynnin,
two miles to the south, at the mouth of the River Gwril.
The village is in the old parish of Llangelynnin, which has two
churches, both dedicated to Saint Celynnin.
The original parish church was first mentioned in documents of
1254 and is at Llangelynnin and the more modern one, 1842, is in the centre of
Saint Celynnin is a medieval saint that is traditionally thought to
be the son of Helig ap Glanawg, a prince resided at Llys Helig before the sea
flooded the land off the coast of Penmaenmawr. Tradition states that he was
related to Rhun, the son of Maelgwn Gwynedd, Prince of Gwynedd, who is recorded
as living in the sixth century, and that he was also a brother to Rhychwyn. Saint
Celynnin and his brothers were all considered saints.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE CHURCH
Early-Victorian church built in 1840-1843 and designed by Thomas
Jones, of Chester.
Bell-cote bell inscribed 1660. Originally hung in the Old Church Llangelynnin
The church consists of an undivided nave and chancel, with a gallery and
bell-cote at the West. end.
A modern extension has been built beyond the West. end for toilet, and vestry
The church is grade two listed (2005).
A parish church with nave and chancel under a single roof, still
in the simple lancet style of the early C19 that was favoured before the
ecclesiological revival of the 1840s, with added West porch and vestry.
Of rubble stone with slate roof behind coped gables.
freestone W bell-cote has a single bell. Below it are 3 stepped pointed windows
lighting the gallery. The added West porch has vestry rooms set back on each
side and with splayed corners, all beneath coped parapets concealing the roofs.
The entrance has pointed double doors, the vestry rooms small
pointed windows. The N and S walls of the main church have 3 pointed windows.
The added late C19 E window is 3-light Perpendicular under a hood mould.
the window is a diamond tablet recording the building of the church in 1842.
From the porch are segmental-headed panelled doors to the nave
and, on the L, a simple dog-leg stair to the gallery.
The 6-bay roof has
collar-beam trusses with diagonal struts below the collars. The W gallery has a
The Gothic panelled reredos in the sanctuary is C20.
The freestone Perpendicular style font is dated 1914. It has a
stem of 4 clustered marble shafts with foliage capitals around the underside of
the bowl, an octagonal bowl with relief ornament, and the inscription 'Suffer
little children' around the rim.
Simple pews have shaped ends.
wooden pulpit, dated 1913, has open cusped arches. The communion rail has
twisted iron uprights and scroll brackets to a moulded wooden rail.
Chancel windows form a set by the same artist, post 1915. In the E
and S windows Christ is depicted with women, including Jairus's daughter and
Mary sister of Martha, and in the N window is the angel pronouncing the
resurrection to Mary Magdalene and Mary mother of James.
This is a new web site for St Celynnin’s Church in Llwyngwril,
It is a happy little church that has a long history but an
We are launching an appeal for repairs to the main structure
of the building, in particular the roof.